A hybrid vehicle requires a combination of one electric motor with a gasoline engine to move a car. On some occasions the electric motor will do all the work, sometimes it’s the petrol engine that takes over, and sometimes they do the work together. The real question is, can you tow with a hybrid vehicle?
Can A Hybrid Do It?
This result in less petrol burned and, therefore leads to a better fuel economy. The addition of electric power can also cause a boost in the performance during certain instances. Hybrid vehicles are fast becoming popular and you might have wondered a few times if they can be used for towing. The answer is yes as long as they fulfill some criteria.
Hybrid vehicles operate in ways that are quite similar to regular vehicles. This means that they can pull a reasonable weight as some of them have sufficient power output. With a little search, you can find SUVs that can tow 5000lbs weight of vehicles. However, since their electrical capacity is low there are some factors you need to consider before towing. Keep reading to learn more.
Factors to Consider Before Towing With Hybrid Vehicles
It is very possible to tow with Hybrid cars as long as they have sufficient electrical capacity and output from the petrol engine. Here are some factors to consider when towing your trailer or vehicle with a hybrid car:
One great thing about them is their efficiency when it comes to saving fuel. Usually while driving, they make use of their petrol engine to generate electricity which is then used to power the appliances in the vehicle as well as the car’s battery. The car also uses the generated electricity to drive at low speeds for a short time.
Because they have small batteries and cannot store a lot of energy they are not suitable for long-distance driving. So, if you plan to drive a long distance, you have to make sure to stop constantly to charge the car’s battery.
Therefore, if you are planning to tow a vehicle like a trailer for a long distance, it might not be the best option.
Its power output is enough to tow small boats, small-sized trailers, and campers. You will be pushing your vehicle’s petrol engine to the limit if the trailers contain more than an empty weight of 500kg as this can cause your car to break down.
As a result of their unique power system and fuel efficiency, they are more expensive compared to regular petrol cars. If you are using a hybrid car to tow, the added weight can reduce the fuel efficiency of your car thereby increasing the cost.
Capacity of the Transmission
This problem has proven to be difficult as car producers are yet to find a solution. When driving under familiar conditions, their electric motor tends to cause fewer problems.
But this changes when the vehicle begins the towing process. This is because it can be a source of damage if you tow heavy loads with it for a long period of time. This means to avoid damage to your vehicle, you have to tow for short period of time.
The shape of these cars increases the fuel consumption when compared to regular vehicles. This is because they are not designed with aerodynamics in mind. To save fuel and in turn save money, using a hybrid vehicle is not the best option to consider.
Hybrid Cars That Can Tow
- Compact SUVs: compact SUVs with high outputs are the best option for towing a vehicle. This kind of vehicle has enough electric capacity to tow small-sized trailers for a short time. This makes them the right fit for towing campervans, small boats, etc.
- Sedans: this is another great option when it comes to towing vehicles. It is great for towing small trailers; the major downside is that there is little storage room.
- Minivans: they also have the electric capacity to tow small trailers and smaller vehicles but their main disadvantage is that they are really expensive to purchase.
You can read this article to learn more about how hybrid cars work.
Benefits of Hybrids Cars for Towing
- Reliability: hybrid cars are very reliable which means they do not require much maintenance. They can keep working long after they are purchased even when you use them to tow your trailers. You also do not need to worry about the failure of the electric motor due to the extra weight.
- Fuel Efficiency: they are also very efficient when it comes to fuel consumption especially during the process of towing heavy vehicles. This fuel efficiency is dependent on various factors such as the power system and the weight.
- Acceleration/Speed: Hybrid cars, with petrol engines and electric motors, do a good job to provide acceleration when necessary. This makes them a great choice when you drive on the highway or when you need to overtake another car.
- Operating Costs: The operating cost of a hybrid vehicle is not as much as the cost required to operate a regular petrol vehicle. They also do not require much maintenance; they also have cheaper insurance as well as low consumption of fuel. You can check here https://www.quora.com/Can-hybrid-cars-and-or-electric-cars-be-used-to-tow-trailers-boats-etcto learn more.
Accidents can happen at any time while driving. Therefore you must have had some experience with towing. If you are planning to go on a camping trip with your family, you require an appropriate vehicle to tow your trailer.
A hybrid vehicle can be considered an appropriate vehicle for towing as long as you acknowledge its downsides and are willing to work with them. All you need to do is get the right vehicle that can help you save cost, provide enough storage space and not stress you on maintenance.
You have to understand that as much as towing with a hybrid car seems to be a trend, it is not made for that purpose, therefore it is important to do your research. This will help you prepare for any emergency.